Sunday, March 18, 2018

What lies beneath?


What lies beneath?



 Image result for rocks over looking a stream
           I have always loved to write. My first memories of writing involve a front yard tree. I would climb to my favorite spot and write or read in it for hours. A 5th grade teacher once told me I had a talent for writing and from then on, Year book and Newspaper staff were always my electives.

We moved from that old tree when I was a teen-ager and I found a quiet spot in the woods across from our house. The resting place was large boulders in a half moon, facing a flowing creek, with even larger boulders, creating small dips and water falls. We, me alone sometimes, and the neighborhood kids, played all over those rocks. When no one else was there, I found solace with pen and pad.

I remember writing a poem titled, Fall. Inspired by the crinkle of dead leaves, I told the story of a green proud, spring leaf, turning fiery reds, oranges, and yellows, before falling to an earthly grave. Yes, I have always had a love of the over dramatic.

A few days after that poem, we heard gun shots and saw two neighbor men with shot guns and gasoline cans at my rock haven. To my horror, they had found a copperhead den, nestled in my rock cove and had already killed double digit snakes. I never, wrote, played, or went near those rocks, again.

This is how the enemy strikes. A comfortable spot, seemingly safe, beautiful in appearance, overlooking a calming stream….but hidden beneath is a pit full of snakes, ready to strike you down with life changing poison. This, my friend, if why we are called to be on guard at all times. Satan walks this earth, prowling like a lion, just looking for your weakness.
Father, I pray as we enter another week, that we are on guard against what lies beneath. I thank you for protecting us from the snake called Satan. For giving us Your word to

No comments:

Post a Comment