Saturday, April 7, 2018

40 Days


40 Days





On June the 28th, 2015, I sat in church and God began to speak. He challenged me to get up a little earlier and have quiet time with him for 40 days. Folks, I’m not going to lie, I struggled with this and not because I already had a devoted time with God, because I didn't, but for very selfish reasons. You see, school had let out and yes, I am a working mother, but I didn’t have to be at work until 8:30, in those days, and school being out equaled as much as an extra hour of sleep for me.  That may sound petty, but trust me, there are some momma’s reading this and saying, Amen, sister…sleep on….  In the end, God won.

I began my 40 days with the 2nd chapter of Romans. I must say, after the year I had before, I was not ready to be hit squarely in the face with scripture one.

Therefore, any one of you who judges is without excuse.

For when you judge another, you condemn yourself, since you, the judge,

do the same things.

Romans 2:1

Still healing from the beating my family had taken and getting used to being a family of 4, no longer a family of 5, I held a lot of judgement in my heart. Early morning, with hardly any sleep the night before, I forced myself out of bed an hour and a half before I had got up the Friday before, and BAM, God was reminding me that it is inexcusable to judge others.  29 meticulous bullet points later, detailing each scripture, with sleep still hovering in my eyes, and I ended two pages with the very prayers I had prayed for a year, only this time, I tried to do it without judgement.

I had mornings where getting up was hard, but I pushed myself, all summer long, adjusting the time to a more reasonable alarm, that gave me time to read and pray. 3 years and one blog later and I still have morning coffee with my Savior. You see, without the brokenness, there would be no challenge, without the challenge, there would be no morning devotion, without a morning devotion there would be no blog, and most importantly, without a devoted morning time, there would be no tear stinging story from my, freckled-faced boys Sunday school teacher, telling me how he told her that he knew when to be still and allow mom and dad to have their quiet moment with Savior.

40 days ended on August the 9th with, 2nd Peter chapter 2.

But there were also false prophets among the people,

just as there will be false teachers among you.

They will secretly bring in destructive heresies,

even denying the Master who bought them,

 and will bring swift destruction on themselves.

2 Peter 2:2

Morning coffee with the Savior is how I arm myself against the enemy’s attacks and false teachers. The name of this blog came from those morning devotions, where I brewed coffee and began my conversation with Him, who bled for me. I imaged how the Woman at the well felt, when she realized she was having a conversation with the promised Savior and decided that is what my mornings are like. Just Savior and me, talking, over coffee.

Today, readers, I challenge you to the same 40 day challenge, that I took three years ago. If, you don’t already have a devoted time with God, start tomorrow. Get a pen, notepad, your bible and a comfy spot, and invite Savior over for morning coffee, afternoon tea, or evening warm milk. I promise, you’ll look forward to day, 41……



Father, I pray for the people that accept this challenge and I pray they seek you, when they begin. I pray for the warriors you are rising up to pray against the enemy attacks. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Love your writings my friend thanks for sharing and yes to 40 days of journal keeping time with my Lord. I accept the challenge and challenge others!

    ReplyDelete