Sunday, October 15, 2017

Bottom of the Mountain


Image result for icy roads

I found this sweet journal entry from November of 2006, in one of my older journals,  although the story is much older. The man in the story is my dearly departed, Uncle Kirk. I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about this man. If ever there was an angel among men, it was him.

At 19 years old an ice storm hit and the store I worked in decided to close early. Viewing this as getting off work early, I got into my car and headed home, with no thought to the direction I should take. I just headed my normal route, instead of planning the safest. There were several ways to get home, but the fasted was the most dangerous, for the icy conditions on the roadway. You see, the fastest route, took me around a small mountain and down a curvy hill.

I came to a four way stop - two directions would have taken me home, yet, without thought I still choose the short way home. I glanced to my right and saw my Uncle, whom had picked up his wife and son, and he was also heading home. He, was planning to take the safer, longer route home, which happened to be across the street from my home. However, when my uncle saw me turn toward the faster route, he choose to follow me. It didn't take long for me to realize my mistake and I was very thankful that my uncle was following slowly behind me. I did okay down the first hill, but as I came back up and around a curve, I saw a dump truck turned over on it's side. It was then that I realized the danger in my decision. I began to panic and I knew it was too late to turn around, so I stopped. I began to cry and decided not to go any further. My uncle, had also stopped and he realized I was not going to drive any further. He got out of his car and came to my window. He told me that he would be with me, but I was going to have to make it to the bottom of this mountain. Once at the bottom, he knew a safe place to park my car and then he would take me the rest of the way home. Which, included another small mountain and curves.

I had to finish the journey. I often wonder what as going through my uncles mind as he made the decision to follow me, with his family in the car, down the unsafe road. He knew a better way but he could not tell me. ( this was before everyone had a cell phone in the car)

Is this how God feels when we take the wrong path? Isn't it good to know that even when we take the wrong path, God is right there with us. Slowly following us and there to take us down the mountain, to safety, just like my uncle did.

Sometimes, we must reach the bottom, before God can take us safely back up the mountain.

Father God, I thank you for lesson learned through mistakes made along the way. I thank you for angels that look out for us and take care of us when we make bad decisions. Amen

2 comments: