Sunday, January 8, 2017

New Year Resolutions


New Year Resolutions

 

Image result for black cup of coffee 

As with most New Years, I silently create a list of resolutions in my head. The number one resolution, to lose weight. You see, I have struggled with my weight from the time I was a little girl. I first noticed in Junior High school. (Middle School for those too young to remember Junior High) While all of the cool girls were wearing size 2 Guess jeans, I stuffing myself into size 7’s. By the 9th grade (still in Junior High, because High School did not start until 10th grade), my weight became a huge issue, in my own head. I, at the urging of another friend, started skipping meals and basically spending my days hungry. Thankfully, I have a very attentive Dad, and he noticed very quickly what was happening. One evening, while sitting in his chair, facing the TV, as I was walking behind him, he said something to this effect.

“Rhonda, I don’t know what you are doing? I don’t know if you are taking uppers or downers, or whatever you are doing, but if it doesn’t stop, I’m taking you to the doctor to be drug tested.” I had a healthy fear of my Father, still do, so thankfully that was all it took.

So with this story in mind, I wonder, how long have I hoped for the perfect size and what is that? If a size 7 was not the perfect size, then what is or was?

…….There is no one righteous, not even one.

Romans 3:10

The truth is, I have never been happy with my weight. I have never had a goal, only that I am smaller so I look like the perfect girl. We all look at the woman on the cover of the magazine or the woman advertising the newest health craze and long to look like her. Truth, we don’t want to put the hours in to look like her. It takes hours of working out, dieting, and dedication to look like those women. Or, photo shop. I am a real person, with a 40 hour a week job and an hour and a half round trip commute. I leave my house at 7 and get home at 5:30 if I am lucky. I cook dinner, wash clothes, help with homework, taxi kids to various events, and then try to relax before doing it all again. I love when someone says, you need to make time for yourself. Just carve out an hour a day, or 30 minutes, wake up earlier…..  Sigh…and deep breathe….

Like the scripture above, that reminds us that not one of us is righteous, not one of us is perfect. There was only one. This year, instead of making a New Year’s list of resolutions, how about make a prayer list of things you need the Father to help you with. Make it realistic.

For example, I am drinking black coffee this morning with a calorie fee, sugar fee, and fat free splash of caramel. I have a prayer request into the Father and removing certain things from my diet may help. I’m not trying to lose weight, although if eating a healthier diet, sheds a few pounds, I will not complain. I will need God’s help and I know that only He can.

For all have sinner and fall short of the glory of God.

Romans 3:23

Seek God’s advice when setting a resolution this year. Is it God’s will for you or is it your will for you? Last year, 2015 Rhonda, wrote a silly note for 2016 Rhonda. In the note I told myself the things I hoped that 2016 would bring. There were 4 things listed and God provided one. The other three, He is still being faithful, and I am still trusting. If you create a list of things you hope to accomplish in 2017, don’t get to down on yourself if you don’t achieve them. We all seek to have a perfect life, instead of just enjoying the life we have.

This year, I started with black coffee and it’s not too bad. Once I got past the first cup, the second one was better and number three is about to be even better. God will see you through. Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and the rest will fall into place.

Heavenly Father, Thank you for 2016. A year of growth, knowledge, and failure. I praise you for giving me the courage to start a blog and for seeing me through a very dark time. Just in time you provided a new job and I am forever grateful. We all have expectations of the new year, Father, I pray we seek you and let our expectations, be your desires. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment