Monday, November 28, 2016

Broken Hallelujah



Broken Hallelujah



Image result for broken

I downloaded a new Christmas album on my IPhone, Sunday morning and over cereal I listened to the main reason I purchased the album. I wanted to hear the group, Pentatonix, remake, Hallelujah, by Leonard Cohen. I don’t believe I had ever heard the whole song, but the chorus is beautiful. I listened, as very secular verses were sang to a chorus of Hallelujah. The song brought tears to my eyes and then streaming down my face as I thought of people searching for joy in other things. Searching for happiness and only finding temporary pleasure. This, after some research, is some of what this song is about. The artist wanted to show that, it is not just worship of God that can bring a Hallelujah to someone. What his song said to me was that we have so much work to do.

Later in church, I found myself reading from Philippians 2. I felt that the two go together, somehow. While this song represents joy in things of the world, this scripture gives us encouragement while on this earth in the knowledge of and the relationship with Christ.

If then there is any encouragement in Christ, if any consolation of love, if any fellowship with the Spirit,

If any affection and mercy, fulfill my joy by thinking the same way

, having the same love, sharing the same feelings, focusing on one goal. Do nothing out of rivalry or conceit,

 but in humility consider others as more important than yourselves.

 Everyone should look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.

Philippians 2: 1-4

There is a line in the song mentioned above that says, “It doesn’t matter what you heard, the holy or the broken hallelujah.” This line is what made me begin to think of the world and sadness that it can bring. In the fourth verse of the scripture above, Paul tells us to look out not only for our own interest but also for everyone else. How often do we as, followers of Christ, put the needs of others ahead of our own? Do we, do things without expectation? Without hope of recognition? Looking for a way to shine above others? In verse 3, Paul tells us to do nothing out of rivalry or conceit, but in humility.

Once a quarter, the team of people I work with goes out and does something good for our community. Last month, we fed people waiting in line for financial assistance and them we sorted donations for 2 hours. I found myself disappointed that I was a few minutes late and missed out on the picture that will be posted on our company internet. I should be disappointed in myself. Those people were grateful for what we were doing and I, after all that good, was disappointed over a picture. Now, I’m glad that I will not be in the picture. It will be a reminder to focus on the task and not the recognition.

As followers of Christ, we have an example to live by. Though we can never live up to Him. We are to love one another no matter where we are in life. We are to love the sinner, because after all, we are all sinners.

Make your own attitude that of Christ Jesus,

who, existing in the form of God,
did not consider equality with God
as something to be used for His own advantage.[a]
Instead He emptied Himself
by assuming the form of a slave,
taking on the likeness of men.
And when He had come as a man
in His external form,
He humbled Himself by becoming obedient
to the point of death—
even to death on a cross.
For this reason God highly exalted Him
and gave Him the name
that is above every name,
10 so that at the name of Jesus
every knee will bow—
of those who are in heaven and on earth
and under the earth—
11 and every tongue should confess
that Jesus Christ is Lord, [b]
to the glory of God the Father.

Philippians 2: 5-11

Read verses 6 and 7 again and then pause and let it sink in. The only person that has ever walked this earth that was equal to God, did not consider equality with God as something to be used for His own advantage. He, instead, emptied Himself by assuming the form of a slave. How powerful are those verses. Now, read all of it, starting with verse one, again. Take a moment to ponder what it is to be truly, Christ like?

Now, think about the line to the song that I referenced above. Christ, hears our broken hallelujah’s just the same as He hears our holy and reverent ones. The broken ones, are the ones that we, as His hands and feet should be on the lookout for. The broken hallelujahs are from those that have no hope and only short lived joy that comforts only as long as the feel good moment they are in. People are broken and they run from us, because they are afraid of judgement. They don’t want someone else telling them, they are wrong. What they need is love. Love heals the broken and mends the defeated.

I ask you, to go back and read Philippians chapter 2 again. Really search the scripture and figure out how you can humble yourself and listen for the broken hallelujahs.

Father God, I thank you for the broken hallelujah that led me to you. That in a moment of tears, I sought you and you were there to dry my tears and give me eternal life. I pray, Father, that we don’t pass by those that are in need. Help us to see the person and not the life-style. Help us to love the person and look past the choices. Give a heart to love the broken. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment