Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Conversation with an Angel


Image result for homeless
A season of endless prayers for restoration fell on silent ears, each morning as I drove to work. Endless storms, pressing in, as one by one, securities fail, and life looks forever different. A familiar road to work with a pit stop for breakfast and everything changed.

A few years back the enemy attacked my family, as I have talked about many times, and during one morning routine, I had the privilege of spoken words by Gods messenger.

Each morning, I dropped our youngest at school, and then drove to the Subway close to work, grabbed a breakfast sandwich, and then sat in the parking lot until time to drive to my office. However, this morning was different….. I didn’t turn down the side road, but decided to stay on the main road and I saw him. A man, homeless, with a cart full of bag necessities, walked slowly down the sidewalk.  Seeing homeless was not uncommon, as the railroad through the intersection provides a nice route to the Salvation Army, so I had seen this everyday. I knew their faces, clothes, carts, pets, but this man, I did not know. I couldn’t stop staring at him and I began to feel a stirring.

Buy two sandwiches…..

What? I don’t need two sandwiches and our bank account is low.

Buy two sandwiches and give him one……

But, what? It’s dangerous to speak to the homeless and besides, I don’t know what he likes.

Buy two of the sandwiches you normally get.

I turned in the parking lot, a head of him and still I argued.

Okay, I will buy two sandwiches, but I am not going to track him down and drive to him, this is not safe…..

 As, I started to walk into the restaurant, I noticed the man and cart stopped walking. He was looking around in his cart…he just stopped. Well, I thought, I can always give the extra sandwich to a co-worker, and I ordered.

Get two drinks.

Okay, but I am not going to drive after him and he will be long gone before I leave.

I walked out to my car, and he was still on the sidewalk. I started to back out and he began to walk again. His cart crossed the parking lot entrance as I got to the exit and he was at my door with perfect timing.

Roll down your window and give him the sandwich and drink.

Are you hungry? I got you something. …….and then his eyes met mine and I couldn’t look away as he boldly held my gaze. Dirty hands, warm and inviting, took the food, and eyes like I’ve never seen, held mine, as tears began to burn and blur my vision.

“God is going to bless you.” And I ….not him, said, Thank you, through choked voice. I rolled up my window, turned right onto the road and pulled into my office, not a block away. I looked back at my rear view mirror to watch him pass ……..but, he didn’t. He never did….I looked up the street and back down it….I looked to the railways and I didn’t see.

You will never see him, again.

….and I haven’t. I sobbed until I had to pull myself together, and I can still see his eyes as he said, God is going to bless you…..Not, God Bless you, like most say…..but, God is going to bless you. He said it with authority, assurance, and confidence. He was right. God has blessed me and my family in so many ways since that encounter.

Let brotherly love continue.

Don’t neglect to show hospitality, for by

doing this some have welcomed angels

as guest without knowing it.

Hebrews 13 1-2

I have no doubt this was an angel sent by God to give me encouragement. I am thankful for this encounter and pray that the next time; I argue a little less with God.



Father, thank you for ministering angels that send us your word. I pray that we all remember to show love to one another and treat everyone like they could be an angel. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment