Saturday, August 20, 2016

Disobedience


Disobedience



 


What do you write about when you have spent your week watching Netflix, reading books on your IPhone, and listening to Podcast, as you discover new gods to put before the very one that brought you through the storm, not 3 months ago? After a hard week of learning a lesson, again, that partial obedience leads to a rough few days, as you sit silently suffering the consequences of not sitting quietly, just a few days before? How do you uplift people that may need to hear a word from God, when even your, morning prayer time, has been interrupted with social media scrolling, delicious cups of coffee, and quiet moments of listening to the chorus of birds, as the sun wakes up the earth?

You write about it. You let people know that you are human and that you put other gods before the Father, this week. We all fall short of His glory and this week is a perfect example. Instead of streaming Christian music into my car for the 30 plus minute drive to and from work, I listened to more secular music. Choosing to drown out the poor choices I made with the sounds of Moby and Adele, other than letting Toby and the Newsboys sway my soul and listen as God talks to me through worship in music. You see, most of what I write is given through conversations with God. Music keeps my attention and drowns out the world. It allows me to listen to the Savior as He guides my direction. This week, I choose a different path. Not because I was angry or because I wanted to drown out my God. I just simple choose to drown out all of it. I didn’t listen when God told me to stay quiet two weeks ago and I had to deal with the aftermath. While I said nothing untrue and in reality did nothing wrong in the eyes of the world, I did not obey the Father and because of that, I was left unprotected from the harshness of this world. I made my life unnecessarily uncomfortable, because I spoke, when I had been told to not say a word.

Have you, ever heard God tell you not to, yet you did and very quickly realized why He said no? In that moment of, what I did was not wrong, but now I have to deal with discomfort because I didn’t listen to the Creator? So, in my flesh, I choose to ignore the, I told you so, conversation and instead, drown it all out. What I am left with, is a feeling of emptiness as I wait for my conversations to begin again. For the last few months, God has brought the story of Saul and his partial disobedience to me. So much so, that I recently told my husband I was ready to change Sunday school material so we could learn something new. I guess, I needed to hear, Saul’s disobedience over and over again. When will I learn?

However, I did give them this command: Obey Me, and then I will be your God, and you will be

My people. You must follow every way I command you so that it may go well with you.

Jer. 7:23

So that it may go well with you… How true that is. If we would obey the Savior, things will go well. It is when we stray from what God tells us, that we find ourselves in a mess. Just a simple instruction from God to stay quiet about a situation, on that day, would have saved me a few uncomfortable days. I pray your week has been better. I hope someone reading this can relate. I am sure that someone reading this, needed this. If it is you, know that you are not alone and that we all have days, weeks, or months that we fall short. I know I do.

Father, forgive me for partial obedience or rather, disobedience. I ask you to turn my attention to you and help me lay the idols down, so that our relationship continues to grow. Give me strength to do as you ask. Give me courage to step out of my comfort zone and have assurance that, if my God is for me, who can be against me? Help me take a leap of faith and walk with you. Father, take care of all of those that read these words. I pray for each and every one. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment