Sunday, June 19, 2016

Sunrise/Sunset


Sunrise/Sunset





Sunrise over the Atlantic:



The last day of our trip I made my way up the stairs to the smell of coffee and quiet chatter. I poured a cup of what makes me smile in the morning and made my way to the balcony I had shared laughter with my family for the last week. My Father, Uncle, Sister and two nieces and one nephew shared the porch. We stood or sat huddled under blankets and sweaters on a cool June morning as the Outer Banks took a beating from Mother Nature’s breath. The winds were so strong, as I turned my mug to drink of God’s gift of coffee, the liquid flowed from the cup and onto my arm, immediately cooled, but unable to stand the wind force and stay in the cup. The ocean looked angry as white caps shown as far as the ocean met the sky and the beach could not be seen for the furry of beating waves, farther up the coast than we had seen all week. For only three minutes we watched the perfectly straight line at ocean and sky as the color orange became more prominent over the clouds until at last, the brilliant orange dot made its appearance. I watched as a flock of Pelican’s began flight, just as the sun crest the earth, as if they paid homage to the Creator.  We stood listening to children ohh and ahh as the sun slowly rose and within minutes was full circle, too bright to continue watch.  It struck me that somewhere, someone else was watching the sun disappear over another horizon. One man’s sunrise is another man’s sunset. The beauty of it hit and has stuck as my favorite moment with my family.

For my days are like a shadow that lengthens, and I wither away like grass.

Psalms 102:11



Many stories were shared over that week. Some bigger than they actually were and others just as they had happened. We talked of loved ones gone with laughter instead of tears and reminisced of days gone by. One evening, as my sister, brother, and I worked without instruction to clean the kitchen, my Dad just watched with mist in his eyes. I wonder, at that moment, did he see three grown children with families of our own, or three young siblings, laughing together? So is life, as one generation rises, another begins to set. Both are just as beautiful, yet the morning sunrise brings promise of a new day as the setting sun brings only memories of a day that can never be repeated.

Your Kingdom is an everlasting kingdom;

Your rule is for all generations…..

Psalm 145:13



Even now the nostalgia from the past week rushes over me as I listen to, Simon and Garfunkel on my IPhone, repeating the words of, well remembered songs, from Sunday morning vinyl. My Sunday mornings were full of the Ventures, Beach Boys, JD Sumner, Elvis, and many more. Late one evening, while on vacation, we played pool in the game room and sang, Bridge over Troubled waters. I realized that those Sunday mornings were entangled in all of us, no matter how far we each had strayed; we were all part of each other. We all shared, our childhood memories, with our own, next generation.

Therefore the Lord God said: “Look I have laid a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone, a sure foundation;

The one who believes will be unshakable.

Isaiah 28:16



Cornerstone, is define as a stone that forms the base of a corner of a building, joining two ways or an important quality or feature on which a particular thing depends or is based.  This is the foundation for followers of Christ, in that Christ is our cornerstone. Much is the same in a family. When my Pawpaw, passed away, I remember feeling shaken. Like a part of the family layer had been removed. The wonderful truth for believers and hope for nonbelievers, is that our Cornerstone, is a sure foundation and when we believe in Him, we will not be shaken. With family, when the head is gone, it can take time to find your footing and come together. Sometimes these families are blended and mixed together, other times, it just takes the Prodigal child coming home.

Whatever it is in your family that you call the cornerstone, I pray that you always find happiness together. Don’t allow storms, death, or long distance to shake your family foundation. Find time to come together as one and get to know each person. Don’t wait, 20 years, like my family did. I know that my Pawpaw would have loved to sit back and watch the madness that took place last week as we all came together on the Outer Banks. Pray for those lost to you and know that God has a plan, offer forgiveness where it is needed, humble yourself even when you are the hurt one, and take time to just sit back and watch as your family unit shares generation after generation of pieces of one another. Sing off tone to family favorites, stay up too late with the kids, eat ice cream at 10 pm, because it’s there, and bite your tongue when something bothers you. Most of all, hug the one that needs it the most, lay your head on the shoulder of a loved one and don’t pull back when they hold your hand. Wipe away tears as you share a memory and listen to someone else’s version, instead of sharing, what really happened.

Lord, thank you for a family with an earthly father that is a cornerstone. Though he is not perfect, he loves each of us. He worked three jobs to support us and always tried to do what was right. He loves us through our failures and brags on us in our accomplishments. I pray for the father missing their child today, I pray for the child missing their father today. I thank you for the men that have been fathers to the fatherless and I thank you most of all for my Daddy. Amen

Happy Father’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment